The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Wuxi, China



wuxi train station

This video was captured on my way to Wuxi, China from Shanghai. Notice the polution and gray skies...

So…I’m positioned on the train now enroute to the city of Wuxi where I will meet my contact at the Wuxi Industrial Design Park.

As I look around at this amazing city, I cannot help but feel and uncanny sense of “future.” The energy level is potent, and the hoards of Chinese are as diverse as I have ever seen a group of any.

My pretense to this place has been pleasantly dismissed due to the rapid pace of life here. So many projects and creativity going on as far as the eye can see. From new housing along the ride from Pudong airport to the dozens of small construction vehicles digging and clearing the way for a more modern and efficient China. There is no sense of settled relaxation as all here are involved in coming or going on their way to becoming “rich.”

Visually, there is a distinct lack of chrome. There still exists a patina of old Shanghai as I looked at the old Bayer building outside my window at the Shanghai Panorama. Its architecture is pure Nazi Germany and its logo sits atop the pyramidal roof line that extends into the Shanghai skyline. Stone is everywhere and the dust from its use a building material is everywhere. The new of Shanghai is contained in the ___ communications tower the has become an Icon of this cities image. Lurking in the smog it towers above the bund and gives a rather unique sense of scale to an otherwise claustrophobic city experience.

Interruption….

I’ve just been bumped from my cozy window seat on the lower level to the upper level of the train due to my inept reccognization of my seat assignment. I’m now sitting in the middle of a 3 seat row and am without a table to use my what now is being true to its design as a “laptop” computer.

So…I am now on my way north. The only “gweilo” on board as far as I know, I stick out like a well manicured thumb…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home