The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Enforcing the rules of discipline

Life is for living right?

But, in doing so, one must develop a healthy respect for the rules in order to be creative in getting around them to do more in life.

Ignorance is truly bliss, and the first time you do something for the first time and enjoy it, keeps you coming back to it again and again to try and get that feeling you had in the beginning.

For example, I am in love the sport of surfing. I think there in no other sport that makes someone more Californian that any other. I got up on a board back in 1989 and fell in love then. Now, almost 17 years later I am still trying to get that feeling of wave riding back into my lifestyle.

But I have not learned the discipline yet. I have not taught my body how to balance itself, I have not taught my eyes to see the wave and my sense of timing to read the waves while sitting amongst the sets as they roll in. My eyes have certainly learned the discipline of suiting up in the parking lot and the proper way to head down to the beach and enter the water, that part is easy. But, I have yet to get back in the water and paddle through the surf again.

I am old enough now to be selective about how I pursue my pleasures. I have very definitive tastes, and ways of approaching problems that I want to solve. I want to learn to surf in a certain way that will be lasting. So it is taking me an extra long time to learn the discipline of the enjoyment of it.

This sounds like a lot of pontification, but if one does not know the rules that are in existence, then one cannot learn the discipline that it takes to surmount them and even surpass and create new ones for others to follow.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home