The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Letting things marinate

So I'm sitting here listening to one of my favourite CDs Jane's Addiction - Nothings Shocking, pumping a little iron and it occurs to me that my 20 something creative period in my life was pretty @#$%! awesome.

Similar to Dave Navarro who is now married and doing commercial television and in his late 30s, I myself am entering a new phase of creativity. That of the late 30s and 40s. Creative projects that I now take on seem to take forever to finish due to all of the things I am involved now. Or is it just me unable to curb my curiosity and appetite for things that I must dabble in.

I'm finding that if I let things marinate for awhile now, I can consider them more so, and actually carry something out to its full completion. My creative juices are not as concentrated as they used to be in my 20s, and I have to parse them out in measured doses now. It is something that with age, comes less of I am finding.

By having multiple projects going at the same time (sometimes 10-12 projects) my attention span is stretched in ever more directions now. Whether they generate revenue is another matter. But that is yet another project I take on. The tireless funding, marketing, promotion and protection of my productivity and fruits of my labour. Which in the end, makes up this time now in between creative spurts that allow for proper marination.

As the mighty Perry Ferell sings "The water is piping hot, the water is a piping hot...It beats upon my neck, and I'm pissing on myself. Standing in the shower and thinking...Standing in the shower and thinking"...

Dave...I used your image to highlight this post becasue I think your integrity is impecable as one the few modern rock gods of our time. Merci!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home