The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Hangul

안닝피가스오...

So I'm learning to speak, read and write Hangul right now. In the past 2 years I have visited Korea 4 times and have had numerous interactions with Korean culture here in San Francisco either with the students I teach or random public occurrences.

I love Korean women. Their beauty is unique when paired with their smart and intelligent personalities.

Korean men are jovial amongst themselves and are more touchy feely than other Asian groups.

Korean foods are tasty. My favourite is Sun dubu chigae.

By learning a new language through food, women and men I find that it is easier that through books, tapes, websites etc. This time around I am actually in a class at a language institute with an instructor and other students. It is clearly the better way to go when learning a new language. I have tried to learn Mandarin from books and tapes on numerous occasions and find that although there are better systems than others, there in no substitute for face to face interaction.

I'm finding that the English that is spoken in the US is by far the most egalitarian form of exrpession there is on the face of the earth. Hangul has so much pretense and respect towards formality and elders that I can see why there is so much suffering elsewhere in the world including Korea. I get this from my Brazilian friends as well and they speak Portuguese.

I'm emailing with a Korean woman who is very well educated in both Korean and English languages. She is not a typical Korean woman in that she has liberated herself from the rigid hierarchy of the society and is hell bent on smashing the Confucian model of society. I have to remind her not to bash Korea so much from time to time. There are many aspects of Korean society that are worth enjoying.

안닝피가새오

진 택

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 05, 01:35:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SB,

    Learning another language is like pulling ones own teeth.

    Just remember, every once in a while when you are completely frustrated, you wake up the next day and you say hey, I can speak a little Korean, or what ever the new language is.

    It is neccessary to go through the frustrations in order to learn.

    salty

     
  • At Tue May 16, 11:50:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home