The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Living online....

So yesterday I spent some time creating a spreadsheet that illustrated how much of my financial life is transacted online.

It is amazing to me that everything from paying my credit cards to various insurances, utility bills, retirement accounts, investment portfolios, leasing and rental bills are all now automated and done for me without stamps, file folders and stacks of paper on my desk. My goal is to be able to be anywhere in the world and manage my finacial affairs from any city I happen to be in at the time.

With such management power online, the concern about the whole system crashing, lead me to think about what would I do if such a castrophy were to occur. Creating a printed hard copy matrix of what account is payed with what bank account has lead to a rather lengthy list of accounts, associated links, account numbers, monthly payments and login information. All neatly and graphically organized just incase the system crashes.

With all of this information stored and buzzing around the internet, it is no wonder that fraud is on the rise. Yet, like any malady that obstructs our freedoms temporarily, troublshooting web related finacial issues is and only will become more of our daily life.

As we move towards the future of realizing that some punk in New Jersey has used our credit card to play online games through a company in Delhi, India, we realize that although we are no longer doing things like we used to, we do have a new set of pain in the ass issues to deal with such modern conveniences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home