The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The body's amazing resilience















So I'm on my way this morning to hopefully participate in an event that will help the local design community here in SF. When out of the corner of my eye approaches a groggy eyed driver from a side street.

WHAMMMMMMMMMMM!

Screeching tires, metal crunching, brute force trauma and then quiet. I've been telling myself lately that it is only a matter of time until I go down on my motorcylce. Well...this morning the odds ran out on me and it happened.

I was extremely fortunate that the impact occurred just in front of my right knee. A few inches or degrees of difference and my knee would have found itself as the fulcrum of such impact between the front bumper and my motorcycles frame. I am cringing here just imagining such different circumstances. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

It was one of those moments that takes forever to occur, and in an instant it is over with. You know when you have exceeded your ability to evade collision and then your body automatically braces for the worst.

Amazingly enough, I walked away with some minor bruises to my knee and heavy cosmetic damage to my bike's farings. Immediately after the impact a local guy out for a walk and some guys in a restaurant came out to help and remove my bike from the scene. I called SFPD in order to report the incident, but learned that they only will come to the scene if there is an injury.

The woman driving the car and I exchanged information and then I limped over to start up my bike which it did surprisingly. I thought about canceling my date with the design group, but decided that I could not afford to miss such a meeting. So I slowly and carefully rode across town to Pier 40. Afterwards I dropped my motorcycle off at the shop to get a damage estimate.
I'm still shook up this afternoon as I imagine how fortunate I was to escape without serious injury.

I ride my motorcycle because it is easy on the petrol, better for the environment than a car, and its fun. But as I surmised, the odds do run out even if you are the most careful driver on the road. It is usually the other person that you have to look out for.

So please! Be careful out there!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home