The California Office

Empirical opinion, intuitive viewpoints and the world we live in...by the savvysymbiont

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Negotiating with Ghana

So this guy I was chatting with online this morning wants to buy one of my old cell phones. He and I have been chatting on and off for a few months now. He seems like a genuinely nice chap and all, but the has no paypal account, no bank account and no money.

I want him to accept the phone from me, but I will not just give it to him without anything in return. So, I asked him what he could afford. He came back with the reply of..."Native sandals with wood toes"

Sounds interesting to me.

The gap between the modern world and the developing world is truly amazingly wide. But, no less I will see this deal through to the end.

He is sending me some images of the "sandals with wooden toes" this weekend. Which puts me in a negotiation with a man from Ghana that knows Tae Kwon Do and rides a motorbike to go shopping with his brother sometimes.

I wonder what it will take for the average guy in Ghana to have the capability to buy and sell online. Certainly not today as Paypal only allow transactions from only 55 countries, of which Ghana is not on the list. I ask myself what will it take for a guy in Ghana who knows tae kwon do and rides a motorbike to have a bank account that he can wire transfer money around the globe. Just think of how much faster he can modernize and materialize his life on his own terms.

the seed is planted...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home